Tuesday, September 4, 2012

My Beliefs about Technology and Learning


I have a love-hate relationship with technology in the education system, there are definitely places where it helps, and there are for sure some places that it hurts. Having limitless information at your fingertips can be nice, but some people may think it is making younger generations lazy. Technology has been expanding in classrooms more in the past decade than it ever has. It is revolutionizing the learning environment in some places. My niece Makayla is autistic and she uses an ipad to do a lot of communicating, something that was never possible for many people before. Technology is helping students with disabilities especially in all types of ways. Especially those with communicative disabilities. This is a serious change, and movement in our classroom's across the nation. The question is, whether this movement is productive for the classroom or not? I grew up being exposed to a lot of technology, computers, video games, etc. I feel that because I'm so used to the idea of it already, that I am okay with it being in my education environment. I like that we're using smart boards in this SEDU class, and are encouraged to bring our computers to class. I think there are more benefits than cons when it comes to this issue. I think the bigger problem is getting the older generation to jump on board. I'm sure there are older people who ARE on board with this technological jump in society but I know many elderly that think that computers are actually evil. I come from a small town where a lot of people STILL don't have computers and don't understand them at all. I honestly don't think my dad would even be able to get on the internet if he wanted to. Some people in some areas (farm towns/small towns) are really unexposed and uneducated on the subject.

2 comments:

  1. How is it revolutionizing the learning environment? Why is it bad in some places? What are the benefits or the cons? You have good ideas but you need to develop and explain them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why exactly are you more concerned with the older generation to "jump on board"? I know many older teachers and people in general, like my Grandmother, love to learn about technology and use it. Even my Grandfather who hates technology is trying to learn more about it so that he can Skype my sister and see their great-grandchild who is in Arizona.

    ReplyDelete