Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Important to me

The budget cuts schools are getting are creating problems all over the curriculum, an issue that hits home for me is the cut to different types of arts programs, and how they are becoming smaller, and vanishing right before our eyes. Even though I am an Early Childhood/Special Education major, I am an artist as well. As a child art was a creative outlet for me, it let me use my imagination to the fullest potential and really think outside of the box. I know children today who are so used to sitting in front of a tv all day that they don't really know what to do when they have a paintbrush in their hands. I'm a big fan of the Reggio Emilia system in Italy, letting kids explore and wonder, and putting their creations on display for them to be proud of. I think it is an important part of growing up, getting that release. There aren't many videos on the internet of Reggio Emilia style classroom's because of how exclusive it is, but I'm putting a video in here with a Kansas City School adaption. The classroom is inspiring, and also relaxing at the same time. I found it cute, and interesting.

7 comments:

  1. I'm in the same boat as you. I am also an early childhood and special education major but music, and the arts are near and dear to my heart. I believe it is so important to infuse arts and music into every day education. The exploration and imagination arts require can allow children to grow in amazing ways. I think we will be able to share many great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would totally agree with the need for children to get back to "thinking outside the box" students. The new technology age I feel like is taking the dreaming out of life. How to dream a picture and paint it or compose music. That's why budget cutting in the schools can create a problem because many schools are taking the extracurricular activities out and that is where the kids are getting to be creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with your ideas. I believe that for some students, the arts or sports are the only outlet students have in school. These activities give them a way to be creative and burn off energy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading this i learned little bit more about international education systems thanks forthe lesson!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed! My son has Autism and music and art has helped him to break out of his "shell."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree!! I have no artistic skills, but art is such an outlet for children!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i completely agree. being shown art at an early age can help a child find an outlet for stress, and can give them a fun experience.

    ReplyDelete