Wednesday, November 21, 2012


Open Education Resources...


What does this mean? Open Educational Resources is pretty self explanatory. Unlimited "free" resources for using while teaching. Because of recent budget cuts made to the education department, this could be the future. As technology grows inside our learning environments, we are seeing paper less and less. OER is just another step in the path of a paperless classroom. 

When I was looking around this OER website .. OER Resources I was amazed at how many activities/lessons/ideas/projects there were for every subject. I was really interested in the arts, but I made my way to the primary category because I am an early education student. Primary Section There were literally THOUSANDS of resources. I think this could be extremely helpful to teachers all over America trying to save. I also was surprised at how detailed the lessons are. This resource on Zoo's and the problems with pulling an animal from its natural habitat has 3 days worth of activities and planned lessons, with all of the necessary tools and aligned standards. The Zoo is coming! I am excited to explore even more this website in the future when I have my own classroom.

Another feature of this awesome website is the games section. Resource Games as a child I loved learning while playing (I still do actually..) This section gives educators thousands of ways to adapt a new fun way to a lesson. The art's section is just as fascinating, giving me so many ideas about what I could do with a general education class to incorporate art into other areas of education.. Cool Art Stuff!

With the countries socio economic status being in the situation it is in, this is exactly what teachers need. What is wrong with sharing our successful ideas and methods for others to try out? In my eyes this is just a good way to spread the word quick, and cheaply about a successful lesson. 

This website could also help me out right now! It has 890 textbooks, I'm sure I could find one that would assist me with my many learning needs! Books that are text

All in all, I am SO glad we got to learn about this website because I know I will be using it often as a future educator. Thanks Dr.Smith! 

No comments:

Post a Comment